Whether youâ€™ve been with your partnerÂ forever or a short period of time, you may start asking yourself: â€œShould I propose?â€ There are certain signs that itâ€™s time to pop the questionâ€”some are pretty obvious; others are a bit subtler.
1. You speak in â€œweâ€ vs. â€œIâ€
It may seem like a small grammatical change, but itâ€™s actually huge. You see you and your partner as a unit, not just as individualsâ€”and thatâ€™s an important step toward marriage.
2. You either live together or spend so much time together you might as well
If you can stand all of your partnerâ€™s potentially annoying habitsÂ day in and day out, chances are marriage is in your future.
3. Youâ€™ve talked about starting a family together
Wondering â€œshould I propose?â€ TheÂ â€œshould we have kidsâ€ discussionÂ is pretty key.
4. You love the idea ofÂ sharing a last name
You and your partner may have talked about having the same last nameâ€”thatâ€™s a sign that youâ€™re both comfortable with the idea of marriage and the traditions that may come with it. Of course,Â a shared last name is not a requirementâ€”but if you and your partner are into it, itâ€™s definitely a move toward getting hitched.
5. Your family calls your S.O. more than you
If your family loves your partner, itâ€™s a great sign of a successful in-law relationship (and if they haven’t met yet,Â get on it!).
6. You know their schedule better than they do
The fact that you care about your partnerâ€™s whereabouts is certainly important.
7. You always consult each other before making big plans
You care about each otherâ€™s opinion, and want to spend as much time together as possible.
8. Theyâ€™re always the first person you go to with good or bad news
A big part of a successful marriage is feeling comfortableÂ discussing all types of subjectsÂ with your partner. If youâ€™re asking yourself â€œshould I propose?â€ think about if youâ€™d feel comfortable discussing personal and sensitive topics with your partner. If the answer is yes, itâ€™s a sign of a good match.
9. You know to DVR their favourite show if theyâ€™re running late at work
Knowing your partnerâ€™s likes and dislikes, and doing small tasks to make him or her happy is what true love is all about!
10. You could easily guess the passwords to their Facebook / Instagram / Pinterest
Maybe donâ€™t actually try this, but itâ€™s another sign of how well you know your partner.
11. You know exactly what willÂ push their buttons
Arguments and disagreementsÂ are a part of even the strongest relationships. Knowing what will tick your partner offâ€”and what will make him or her feel betterâ€”means that you are in tune with your partnerâ€™s personality.
12. You celebrate the holidays together
The fact that you and your partner want toÂ spend happy times togetherÂ means that the answer to the â€œshould I proposeâ€ question is probably yes!
13. Run-of-the-mill activities like grocery shopping are 10x more fun with them
If your partner can make even the lamest situations awesome (hello, DMV line!), youâ€™re in it to win it.
14. Youâ€™ve seen them at their very worst and love them anyway
A long and healthy marriage is sure to have its upsâ€”and definitely its down. If youâ€™ve supported your partner during difficult times such as an illness, job issues, or family drama, it means that youâ€™reÂ well-suited for wedded bliss.
15. You know exactlyÂ what style engagement ringÂ youâ€™re going to buy them
If youâ€™ve already startedÂ researching engagement rings, itâ€™s clear that youâ€™re ready to propose.
16. Their friends have become your friends
Marriage isnâ€™t just about having a great relationship with your partner. Itâ€™s also about developing good rapports with their loved ones. If youâ€™ve already checked off that box, youâ€™re in great shape!
17. Theyâ€™re the only person that can cheer you up when youâ€™re having a bad day
Your partner knows how to make you happy no matter whatâ€”youâ€™re clearly meant to be!
18. Youâ€™ve discussed at length what kind of pet you want and what youâ€™ll name it
As we all know,Â having a petÂ is just like having a child. If youâ€™re ready to start a family together (furry or otherwise), thatâ€™s major.
19. Youâ€™ve finally figured out how to be in the same room when your favourite teams play each other
While you donâ€™t have to agree on your sports loyalties, you at least understand each otherâ€™s passions.
20. You can spend hours in a car with them and never get bored
Again, itâ€™s all about loving each other, whether youâ€™re relaxing on a beach or stuck in a car together for 10 hours.
21. You truly canâ€™t picture your life without them
In the end, this is the sign that matters most.