When you’re on the hunt for the perfect wedding venue, forgetting to ask an important question could mean ending up with a site that’s missing a key element — or a hefty charge at the end of that night that you weren’t expecting! So before you sign on the dotted line, sit down with the venue manager and go over the following questions. Tip: We recommend even printing this list out and bringing it with you!
The Wedding Date:
- Is mine available?
- How many weddings will be booked that day?
- What are the rates for different days or times (Friday, Saturday, Sunday; afternoon, evening)?
- Is there a payment schedule?
- What kind of deposits are required?
- Are there hidden costs like a service charge, gratuity, cleaning fees, or overtime charges?
- What’s the cancellation policy?
- What’s the last possible date that we can make changes?
- Do you work with specific vendor partners?
- Do we have to use these vendors? If not, are there any other limitations on working with outside vendors?
- Is there room for a band and/or dancing?
- Does the venue own sound equipment and speakers, or will that need to be rented?
- Are there any noise restrictions?
- Are there adequate bathroom facilities? Is there a coat check?
- Is the site handicap accessible?
- Is there ample parking? Will guests be charged for parking?
- Is there a backup plan for rain or inclement weather?
- Are there any decoration limitations? Can we use candles?
- Are there restrictions for the photographer in terms of flash usage?
- When can my vendors arrive for setup?
- What time will my guests have to leave the venue?
- Who is responsible for setting up and tearing down the decor, and when will it be completed?
Food & Drinks:
- Is there an in-house caterer?
- Do we have to use that caterer? If not, is there a limitation on which outside caterers we can use?
- Do you have a liquor license?
- What is your pricing for alcohol?
- Will you allow us to bring our own liquor?
- If so, is there a corkage fee?
- Are there any consequences for not fulfilling the food and beverage minimum?
- Who will be our point person be before the wedding?
- Who will be our point person on the day of our wedding?
- Can we meet them now?