A man’s health can be negatively affected by high levels of stress. Protect yourself by practicing some simple rules to limit your stress.
Stress has become a major modern day factor affecting men’s health. The tension and emotional strain of day to today living has been linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, migraine, headaches, back pain, diabetes, cancer and a weakened immune response to disease.
Men experiencing high levels of stress can experience anxiety, insomnia, fatigue and depression and may turn to unhealthy habits like smoking, drinking, over eating or drug abuse to help deal with their stress.
Dangers of stress.
Stress is harmful because it presses biological buttons inside men that have long outlived their usefulness. When a man had to battle wild animals to save his family, that stress prompted certain fight or flight responses within his body.
The heart rate soared to send more blood to the brain, improving quick decision making.
Blood shunted into large muscles of the arms and legs to provide more strength and speed and away from the gut.
Blood sugar rose to provide more fuel for quick energy.
Blood began to clot more quickly, to prevent blood loss from wounds or internal damage.
It’s not hard to draw lines from those natural responses to the diseases now associated with stress.
Here are ten ways to deal with stress.
1. Exercise regularly; Exercise has been proven to reduce stress levels helping you both burn off pant up energy and tension.it also improves overall health.
2. Eat and sleep well; Good nutrition and 6 to 8 hours of sleep each night can help your body to recover from past stress and be better prepared to deal with new stress. Avoid caffeine and other stimulants that might promote stress and sleeplessness. Avoid alcohol which might deepen any depression you may be feeling.
3. Meditate; spend at least 15 to 20 minutes a day in a quiet contemplation. Depending on your preference, you might like to devote the time to meditation or prayer or practicing yoga if you want more of a physical component. Breathe deeply and clear your mind.
4. Solve the cause of your stress; Dealing with the problems that cause tension can relieve you of that stress. Inaction just allows it to build. If your neighbor’s dog barks constantly, talk with him about it.Talk to your boss to figure out solutions for problems at work. Ask for help if you can’t meet all the demands placed on you.
5.Avoid stressful situations; Recent research suggests that men’s stress levels soar 60 percent in traffic jams seven times higher than womens.if possible, time your driving to avoid rush hour, shop when you know the store won’t be packed with people. And cut down on the time you spend with people who annoy you.
6. Accept things you can’t change; There are going to be things in your life that you can’t control no matter how hard you try. For example, there is no use allowing snow or rain to bother you, how would you go about changing weather? Instead look for ways to enjoy uncontrollable circumstances. Play in the snow like you did when you were a child, spend a rainy day reading which another way to relieve stress is.
7.Dont take on more than you can handle; People often create their own stress by over scheduling themselves and failing to say no when too much is asked of them, whether it’s the boss, spouse or friend making the request.Dont over compromise and give yourself time to finish the things you do agree to tackle.
8. Try a ‘glass half full attitude’; always looking on the sunny side sounds cliché, but it can make a world of difference. Having a negative outlook can even turn the most minor annoyances into huge problems in your mind.
9. Tackle first things first; become a master at triage, which is determining the most important of the tasks you’re trying to handle and methodically completing those first, then moving on to less critical jobs. Resist trying to do multiple projects at once.
10.Savour your victories; When you accomplish a personal goal or finish a major project, do something nice for yourself.it can be as simple as getting a massage or as extravagant as taking a weekend getaway. Celebrate your achievement before you jump to the next one.
Your outlook is such an important factor in how your body deals with stress. Following these steps will help you put stress in perspective and start enjoying your life again.